The Piano Guild is open to students of all ages and levels. It an excellent way for students to be recognized for their work by a national organization. The purpose of the auditions is to establish goals for the earliest beginner as well as the advanced student. These goals attempt to give music study a definite direction and provide a measurement for progress. As a result, a piano curriculum encompassing the best of piano literature and stressing American compositions has been standardized.
All piano students have a yearly opportunity to attain these goals through non-competitive adjudication in the National Piano Playing Auditions. Auditions are private (student and judge only) with well-qualified musicians serving as judges.
Students are judged on individual merit in the areas of accuracy, continuity, phrasing, pedaling, dynamics, rhythm, temp, tone, interpretation, style and technique.
Every year a student enters Auditions, he/she will receive the following rewards:
- A membership certificate, according to classification.
- An NFSM Membership Pin in Bronze (Pledge, Local & District), Silver (State), or Gold (National or International.)
- A copy Analysis Report Card signed by the Guild examiner.
- His/her name listed and photo published in Piano Guild Notes in the fifth, tenth, or fifteenth year as a National or International Winner.
The Music Educators Association of New Jersey is a nonprofit organization of independent piano teachers. Founded in Newark in 1927, its mission is to establish high standards statewide for private music teaching, while encouraging musical excellence and instilling a love of music in our students. To achieve these goals, we provide continuing educational and performance opportunities for our members through monthly lectures, workshops, recitals, and master classes.
This is not a competition, rather a program designed for all hard-working pianists – from the earliest beginner through the most accomplished young artist. The requirements for the category determine eligibility for that particular level.
Through the Annual Piano Auditions, the MEA’s mission is to:
- Encourage pupils to further their music studies by providing opportunities to receive recognition and rewards for their efforts
- Help acquaint students with various facets of musical knowledge and experience
- Assure students their efforts represent a rich, meaningful activity that will prove to be of lasting, practical value as well as a cultural force in their adult lives
- Make parents aware of the requirements and commitment involved in worthwhile music study and instruction
- Help maintain a high level of teaching standards.•
The student performs for a judge (usually an active, highly qualified piano teacher) and receives a written evaluation and a certificate. Additional awards are given for 3, 5, 7 and 10 years of achievement.
The auditions also play into the eligibility for MEA Camp and College Scholarships. MEA welcomes all members to enroll their students in this valuable and rewarding program. A detailed syllabus with repertoire and technical requirements is given to all new members.